This mural illustrates the importance of the horse to Pueblo people. The horse was unknown until it was introduced by the Spaniards, but it quickly became an integral part of Pueblo life. Horses are invaluable hunting partners and are used in farming to carry heavy loads, for transportation, and to chase enemies. The simplicity of this mural—a monumental horse, a smaller horse in the background, and a stylized cloud—contrasts nicely with the intricate compositions of surrounding murals.
- Original Artist: Bob Chavez
- Cochiti Pueblo
- Magnet L: 1-3/4" W: 2-3/4" H: 3/4"
- Material: Stone
Bob Chavez, Ow-u-Te-Wa, Echo of a Song, was a self-taught artist from Cochiti Pueblo. In 1937, Chavez was a graduate of St. Catherine's Indian School in Santa Fe. He was drafted into WWII and was sent to the Pacific where he was captured and marched the Bataan Death March. He spent 5 years in Japanese POW camps before returning to New Mexico. After the war, Chavez returned to St. Catherine's as an athletic coach. In addition to painting, he designed fabrics using the silk screen process, and taught art as a volunteer at St. Catherine's until its closure in 1998. He considered art his hobby, but also enjoyed music and raising horses. His work was shown at the Heard Museum, Philbrook Museum of Art, Scottsdale galleries, and he received an Exceptional State Service Award from New Mexico Governor Jerry Apodaca.